Tuesday 18 May 2010

21 Today

A totally unrelated post but I decided to give it a shot. It is officially my birthday now and I am 21. I can't believe another year has passed by and I barely even noticed it. Between the summer and the exams, the happy and the sad moments, the accomplishments and the failures, I managed to get it right here. 

To be honest, I am not where I expected to be when I turn 21. I imagined my year differently, I had different expectations, different hopes, different dreams. Anyways, here I am and that is what I have done. Despite the many (MANY MANY) mistakes I have made, despite the disappointments and the tears, I really did grow up. I grew up more than a year from last 18th of May. I grew not only in age, I grew in experience. I learned one important lesson: I am the one who is supposed to help myself. No one is obligated to take care of me, no one is obligated to lift me up when I fall and no one is obligated to give me courage when I need it. It is the place to quote my favorite author Ayn Rand: "I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for me". And that is what it is. By the end of the day you are alone. And it is your job to make the most of your life, to pursue your happiness, to trust your instincts, and to do only what makes you feel alive. 

Enough of the really "preachy" staff. More importantly, although I am not where I wanted to be, I am hopeful. As a very special person told me today: "It doesn't matter whether this day is what you imagined it to be. It is what you make it yourself". And that is what I intend to do tomorrow. I intend to do the day ONLY ABOUT ME. Because this is the day of the year, which is totally mine. And I will make the most of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment