Thursday 3 June 2010

Before the fashion, the Cosmopolitans, and Mr. Big

Reading my blog you might have already figured out I mostly enjoy serious and philosophical books, books that shake you to the core, change your perspective and make you questions everything you have ever believed or society has made you believe. From time to time, however, I enjoy something light and easy, which doesn't require a lot of thinking or analyzing. Sometimes I prefer books, which are great just for the sake of reading and which leave you with a satisfaction, a positive attitude, and a smile.

Candace Bushnell's The Carrie Diaries is one of those books. I know, I know, I started it just 4 days ago and even though I have exams, I managed to finish it very quickly. The reason is quite simple - the novel just reads itself. Bushnell's style is simple, yet amusing and light and once you start, you can't really feel the pages turning and turning. You just get completely sunk into the story of Carrie and her high school drama.

If you hate stories about high school boyfriends, friendships, betrayals, peer pressure, and cliques, you better stop right now. However, if you have enjoyed Sex and the City and if you are curious to learn more about Carrie before her fabulous New York lifestyle, you better check out this book. I have to warn you, there will be no fashion, no Cosmopolitans, and no rude and brutal sex talk the way we know it from the TV series. After all, Carrie is still 17 and we follow her ambition to become a recognized writer and to leave the little country town she lives in.

One might quickly judge the novel as superficial, simple, and naive. However, one of my mottos is that you can find a moral in every story and Bushnell gives us this moral straight forward: follow your dreams and never give up. Sounds trivial and simple but remember how many times you forgot that simple formula while being sunk into everyday problems, lies, and betrayals. Carrie, on the other hand, manages to overcome the typical high school drama, the boyfriends, the cheating, the jealousy and the peer pressure for sex. She consistently follows her dream to become a writer and finally ends up in New York with no money, no plan but with one very important thing - Samantha Jones's phone number.

I enjoyed the book as it was a great distraction from the boring and difficult exam reading. I can't wait to see the movie as well. After all, a girl always needs a little something to make her feel better... In my case   The Carrie Diaries were the fresh air I needed after hours of library time. I hope you will feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment